Network security has become a top priority for enterprises to safeguard their sensitive data, protect against cyber threats, and ensure compliance with industry regulations. And rightfully so; with today’s rapidly evolving digital landscape, network security is of utmost importance, with 74% of all breaches involving human element (DBIR Verizon, 2023) tools like Network Security Policy Management (NSPM) solutions drastically reduce these odds.
An efficient NSPM solution is essential to ensure the smooth functioning of an organization’s network while mitigating risks effectively. While some enterprises may be tempted to build their own in-house security policy management system, opting for a specialized and proven solution, like FireMon, offers numerous advantages.
1. Lack of expertise and experience creates opportunities for mistakes: Established NSPM vendors, like FireMon, have spent years honing their solutions and gaining valuable experience in the field of network security. They understand the complexities and nuances of managing security policies effectively, and their solutions are designed to meet the unique challenges faced by modern enterprises. Building in-house NSPM solution requires considerable expertise, research, and ongoing maintenance, which can be both time-consuming and costly.
2. Unable to react quickly to changes in the environment: Time-tested NSPM solutions come equipped with a comprehensive feature set that caters to the diverse needs of enterprises. These features may include policy analysis, risk assessment, compliance reporting, change management, and automation tools. Developing a feature-rich in-house solution that matches the capabilities of proven vendors would demand significant resources and time and might not be feasible for all enterprises.
3. Time and cost inefficiency: Building an NSPM solution from scratch demands extensive resources, including hiring specialized personnel and ongoing development efforts. The process can be time-consuming and divert focus from core business activities. In contrast, purchasing an NSPM solution allows enterprises to quickly deploy a ready-to-use system, saving valuable time and reducing costs associated with development, testing, and maintenance.
4. Inability to scale: As enterprises grow and their network infrastructure expands, the demands on their NSPM solution increase. NSPM vendors design their solutions with scalability in mind, accommodating the evolving needs of enterprises seamlessly. Building an in-house solution that can scale effectively may prove challenging, leading to potential inefficiencies and increased expenses.
5. Inadequate updates and support: Network security is an ever-changing landscape, with new threats emerging regularly. Trusted NSPM vendors provide regular updates to their solutions for new vendor devices, software versions, and features, ensuring that enterprises are equipped with the latest security defenses. Additionally, reputable vendors offer ongoing support and assistance, helping enterprises address issues promptly and efficiently. Developing and maintaining an in-house system with the same level of continuous updates and support can be daunting and resource intensive.
6. Lack of integration and compatibility: Enterprises typically use a range of security tools and devices to protect their network. NSPM solutions are designed to integrate seamlessly with various security infrastructure components, providing a unified and cohesive security management environment. Developing an in-house solution that aligns with existing tools and devices can be complex and may lead to compatibility issues.
7. Unproven security and reliability: Proven NSPM solutions undergo rigorous testing and validation processes to ensure they meet industry standards for security and reliability. Vendors prioritize data protection and deploy robust security measures to safeguard sensitive information. Building an in-house solution that adheres to the same high standards might be challenging, and any lapses in security could have severe consequences for the enterprise.
8. Time consuming training and development: The talent you have today might not be the talent you have tomorrow, this means there is significant uplift and effort of continuously training new teams that have never seen the system before. Building a robust and secure NSPM solution demands expertise in network security, software development, and policy management. If the enterprise lacks these skills, it can lead to vulnerabilities and ineffective security controls.
While building an in-house network security policy management solution might seem appealing to some enterprises, the benefits of opting for a trusted and specialized solution far outweigh the drawbacks. NSPM vendors offer expertise, a comprehensive feature set, scalability, continuous updates, integration support, and robust security measures. By opting for a proven NSPM solution, enterprises can focus on their core business objectives while ensuring their network remains secure, compliant, and protected against emerging cyber threats.
FireMon provides expertise, efficiency, scalability, continuous support, and compliance features that empower enterprises to bolster their network security posture effectively. By choosing FireMon, enterprises can focus on their core business objectives while confidently safeguarding their network from the ever-evolving cyber threats.